Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Shootings

A few days back an ESL student told me, as a matter of fact: "There are a lot of shootings in Toronto." I was surprised at this comment because right now, the crime rate in the city actually seems to be on the decline. Furthermore, the Greater Vancouver Area is currently the undisputed Gun Capital of Canada. To add to my surprise was the fact that this person is from a country where Gun Crimes are, unfortunately, part of everyday life. Naturally, I was curious about his assertions for the above reasons and began asking why they felt this way. They then said, "I see them all over town!". Once again, I was flabbergasted! I've lived here all my life and, thank goodness, have never witnessed any shootings. How is it possible that this newcomer has in such a short time seen so many?
So, I pressed on. 'Where did you see these shootings, specifically', I asked trying to correlate what they where going to say with some recollection of a recent tragedy. They answered "beside where I am living, they are filming a movie." And suddenly, a wave of relief poured over me. He was actually talking about film productions - which has now been falsely 'cognated', in their country with a single word: shootings.

No comments: